BUCKS RFC Mens Prems VS SCC Prems

Bucks 1st XV began their 17/18 season against SCC at Dempsey field last Saturday. With on field conditions proving to be a test for both teams and with several new additions to the Bucks team it was going to be a test against an SCC team looking to make a mark against last years Premiership champions.

SCC began the brighter of the two teams and capitalized on some poor decisions by Bucks to score the first try from the game from a turnover. As the first half progressed Bucks managed to build into the game however dropped balls contributed to a stuttering attack. Fergal Touhy latched on to an offload and powered through for Bucks first score of the game. With the conversion kicked Bucks began to impose themselves on the game.

More sustained pressure from the forwards allowed Bucks to camp near SCC's tryline and Adam Field on his debut powered through to score his first try for the club. Bucks entered in to half time 14-7 up, having struggled to deal with slippy ball and an SCC team determined to make everything as difficult as for the Bucks team as they could.

After half time Bucks initially looked they would kick on but SCC began to come more and more into the game with their forwards beginning to really put pressure on Bucks. With the penalty count against Bucks rising this pressure began to tell as SCC had a shot at goal to make it 14-10. SCC's purple patch continued as with a man in the bin they scored a try to make it 14-15. At this stage Bucks began to make personnel switches including changing their front row make up in the shape of Alex Muir & Ian Mullarkey with Jonny Carswell coming on at full back as well.

The changes had the desired effect as Bucks began a period of sustained pressure in the SCC half. With the territorial came coming to the fore and both teams reverting to kicking out of hand, Bucks forwards started to gain the upper hand. This pressure resulted in a penalty awarded to Bucks which Jonny Carswell converted to make it 17-15 with less then 15 to go. At this stage Bucks fitness levels started to show as they spent more and more time in the SCC half. With minutes to go another penalty was awarded and Jonny Carswell stepped up to put Bucks 5 points clear. 

Bucks saw out the game with a couple of last minutes tackles including one 5 meters from the tryline to stop SCC and eventually force an error which ended the game. It what can be said was an error strewn first game for last years champions, they will be delighted to get the season off to a winning start and remind the rest of the league that the success from last year will only serve to push this team to greater heights.

Final Score

Bucks - 20 (T: Field, Tuohy; C: Benkimoun x2; P: Carswell x2)

SCC - 15 (3 tries)